Friday 30 May 2014

Kjaer Weis Cream Foundation


At the beginning of the year I wrote about my love of the prospect of a Kjaer Weis foundation. Now four months down the line, a few shopping trips and quite a few make-ups later, I have had plenty of time to play and have decided it was high time to share my thoughts...

Kjaer Weis Foundation (pronounced ‘Keer’ - as in deer)


I was pretty excited to say the least when I wrote my last KW foundation post. Shortly after my post Content (one of my favourite organic beauty stores) launched the range and of course, I just had to take a trip. My initial eagerness stabilised, I managed to keep the levels of excitement in check for a little while longer until the UK release of the refill packs and then I made my purchase(s).

Neatly presented as small square (approximately 4cmx4cm) pans, the creamy foundation is smooth in texture and goes on easily with very little drag. I have applied the foundation with both my fingers and a brush and both work perfectly well. Although I haven't used a sponge as yet, I imagine that as with most cream bases, it would be an equally easy method of application.

Reasonably long lasting, the coverage is sheer to medium - depending upon how much you build it up. The finish is a flattering semi-matte, which gives the skin a slight natural looking glow and radiance, without appearing shiny. I like to use a buffing brush over the face after applying a foundation to help work it into the skin and the KW foundation tolerates and seems to appreciate this little extra attention.

Available in 5 shades, the foundation is currently (and frustratingly) a little limited when it comes to colour choice - however I do believe (although I can't find where I read it) that some darker tones will be available in the near future. As it stands at the moment the foundations cater for fair to medium skin tones with either yellow or pink undertones. I tend to mix more than one shade to create the prefect match for a clients skin tone and these foundations deal with this very well, with the colours blending together quickly and easily.

Packaged in the beautiful (and what I hope will one day be design classic) silver compact and red lacquer box designed by award winning Art Director Marc Atlan, designer of the iconic Comme Des Garçons bottle. The swivel action design is flawless and smoothly reveals the product inside.

As beautiful and adored as the packaging is, I actually keep my KW foundations all together in a Z Palette; this not only keeps the weight down in my kit but also allows me to mix the foundations without constantly having to swap between compacts.

Now fully integrated into my kit, I have used the foundation on both photoshoots and broadcast work and have been pleased with how it worked - It looks great on camera and withstands the scrutiny of high definition. Definitely a foundation that would suit most genres of work.

Priced at £49.00 for a compact or £29.00 for a refill, these foundations are a serious investment of cash but if you are a lover of a cream base then it's definitely worth a try. US site Spirit Beauty Lounge offer a fantastic customised sample service which includes samples of the KW foundations (not something that is currently available in the UK), so if you are really desperate to try before you buy then this may be an option - beware you may be subject to tax charges. If you are happy to to go ahead and buy blind, then both refills and compact are available in the UK from Content and Naturisimo.

Kjaer Weis is a luxury organic make-up line created by Danish born Make-up Artist Kirsten Kjaer Weis. Designed with every woman in mind, Kjaer Weis products are produced using only the highest quality and safest natural and organic ingredients and are CCPB certified.

I have featured Kjaer Weis in a number of posts over the past couple of years, to find out what I thought of some of the products, check out my Top Five posts; Gifts For You and Products Of 2013 and my suggestion for a Christmas Gift Idea. If you have yet to try out the Abundance Cream Blush and Pretty Purple Eyeshadow, I thoroughly recommend them. Finally if KW are a brand that is new to you, find out more in Behind The Brand.

Ingredients:

(* denotes organic ingredient)
Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Oil*, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch*, Cera Alba*, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Tocopheryl Acetate
May Contain +/- Mica, CI 77891, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499

Main Image: If You Fall Asleep - Dark Gomo via DiviantArt
Body image: Kjaer Weis

No comments:

Post a Comment