Monday 8 October 2012

Mineral Magic

I have a real love of liquid foundations over any other type; I love the painterly way they are applied with a brush, the way different tones and products can be mixed to produce the base of your choice and they way they look on the skin and it is because of this that I came upon mineral foundations in their true state a lot later than I did other natural cosmetics. The idea that mineral powders would give a finish that would stand up against my favourite liquids left me sceptical.

I have tried a number of mineral foundations over the years and, although many rave, I have never been quite convinced. The fact that so many appear to contain glitter or shimmer particles (really not necessary in my mind!) or have far too much bounce back, making them unsuitable for most photographic and broadcast work, really added to my lack of conviction.

I was recently sent some make-up samples from Honeypie Minerals and was overjoyed with the results, as the foundations are really lovely. Like most mineral powders the skin looked much better after the foundation has had a chance to sit on the skin and warm up a little.
Applied with a Kabuki brush, the foundation went on with ease, the payoff being a lovely matte finish, that retained an even, flattering luminosity whilst not appearing flat.


There are fifteen shades of Honeypie foundation and something for everyone, spanning cool, neutral and warm skin tones; from 'Fair', a lovely light porcelain for cooler shades to the beautifully warm and rich 'Golden Deep'. I mixed the Light and Medium tones from the neutral spectrum, playing it a little safe as I was unsure of how strong the undertones would appear. Although this combination looked fine on my fair skin, I plan next time to try the cooler range as I thing the colours may just work a little better, especially going into the winter months when my skin looses the sun-induced glow and my freckles appear less intense.


Priced at £10.00 for 10g sifter jar of foundation. Run out? Honeypie supply a 10g refill bag of your chosen shade for £9.00. If you aren't sure of your colour choice, then why not get a 0.5g sample bag for just 99p!


Although I may never rid my make-up bag of the many tubes and bottles of liquid bases, I certainly would make the Honeypie Minerals foundations a little home in my kit and, who knows, I may as yet become a mineral foundation convert...


Available online from Honeypie Minerals


Honeypie Minerals are a small, independent UK company recently established by Claudia. After spending years making her own mineral make-up, she decided to share her creations with the world and Honeypie Minerals was born. All Honeypie products are free from alcohol, perfume, binders, fillers, bismuth, preservatives, parabens and talc and of course, they are cruelty free.


www.honeypieminerals.com


Ingredients:
Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI77497). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).


Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this blog are entirely my own and I am honest in what I write. I am a freelance Make-up Artist and am NOT affiliated with any company or brand, therefore I remain imparticial and unbiased towards one organisation.
Unless otherwise stated, the products reviewed have been purchased by me. On occasion I am sent products to try, however I will always state if I have been sent a product. As a matter of principle (and time) I will not review any product that I do not like or use in the course of my work as a Make-up Artist, regardless of whether I purchased it myself or was sent it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review Organic Make-Up Artist! Very glad you enjoyed our products. Keep up the great work x

    ReplyDelete